Universal Waste Aerosol Recycling Program
Published August 2020
Aerosol Recycling with TRC
*please note that state regulations change frequently; please contact TRC for the latest regulations in your state
Iowa adopted a new rule making Aerosol Waste a Universal Waste. This makes Aerosols much easier and less expensive to recycle.
MN adopted this rule over 4 years ago and TRC has had great success in rolling out an easy program helping customer make the change and reducing costs. Are you outside of MN or IA? We are still able to recycle your Aerosol Waste! Simply call or schedule a pickup online.
Aerosol Waste Recycling Volumes
- 2016 – 7,598 lbs of aerosol waste shipped
- 2017 – 14,664 lbs of aerosol waste shipped
- 2018 – 25,650 lbs of aerosol waste shipped
- 2019 – 26,110 lbs of aerosol waste shipped
Recycling Aerosols in My State
Iowa recently adopted a new program regarding Aerosol Waste Recycling. This program now includes this waste stream as a Universal Waste. This is great news for Iowa businesses (and residents) as this now lowers the cost to recycle Aerosols in Iowa and makes the process much easier. Previously, Iowa did not include Aerosol Waste on the federal list of materials eligible for this Universal Waste recycling program.
- Businesses in Iowa and Minnesota are eligible to use our Aerosol Recycling Program
- Aerosol waste utilizes our standard Universal Waste Bill of Lading
- Since the MPCA adopted aerosols into the universal waste program, TRC implemented a new policy so when you schedule a recycling pickup with us, you may now include any waste aerosols without any additional paperwork.
- Aerosols may be packaged into any of our UN-rated shipping containers and picked up on our truck with your other universal wastes.
Although, pressurized gas containers are not considered part of this program, TRC can help you responsibly dispose of them. Contact our Haz Team anytime! (Is your business outside of Minnesota or Iowa? We can still help you find the best recycling option, simply contact our team!)
What Are Aerosols?
Aerosols are chemical products, such as paint, solvent, or cleaner, released as a spray or stream from a pressurized container. A waste aerosol is an aerosol container that will no longer be used for its intended purpose. The Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA).
What Happens to Aerosols Recycled with TRC?
Recycled aerosols in Iowa & Minnesota are shipped to our Licensed Universal Waste Collection Facility in Little Canada, MN for additional sorting/processing. Waste aerosols are then shipped to our partner disposal facility where they are fully drained. Finally, the drained liquids and gases are blended into fuel or incinerated and the empty cans are recycled as scrap metal. In essence this process is converting the waste into heat energy.
What Are the Regulations Around Punctured Aerosols?
Under new regulations, you may puncture universal waste aerosols and compressed gas cylinders at your site if you meet certain conditions, including collecting and managing all liquids, safeguarding employee safety and health, and complying with the Minnesota State Fire Code. However, some aerosols and compressed gas cylinders may present unusual safety risks when punctured and be inadvisable for on-site management
Click below to schedule a pickup at your business: