Schedule EV Charging Installation
Contact our team for a free consultation and to learn more about installing Electric Vehicle (EV) Charging Stations at your location.
What is Electric Vehicle (EV) Charging?
There are two types of Electric Vehicles: Battery Electric Vehicles (BEVs) and Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicles (PHEVs). Both types of EVs run on electricity, or an electricity-gas combo. When the battery depletes, it is recharged using electricity from a charging station. These charging stations can be installed residentially or commercially.
Installing an Electric Vehicle Charging Station requires professional electrical service. Our team at Retrofit Electric will help you determine the right location for your charger and install it according to manufacturer specifications and your electrical infrastructure.
Types of EV Charging Stations
There are currently three options for electric vehicle charging stations. Choosing the correct option for your property depends on the vehicle type(s) you are servicing, the speed you are looking for and your electrical infrastructure.
Request a consultation to learn about the correct type of EV charger for your business.
Level 1 – 120 Volt
- The slowest charging option
- A common option for (single)-residential charging
- Charger is connected to a standard 120-volt wall outlet
- Can provide 4-6 miles of range for every hour of charging
Level 2 – 208/240 Volt
- Faster charging option, often not included with purchase of EV
- Requires dedicated 208 or 240-volt circuit
- Electrician required for installation and any service panel upgrades
- Can provide 25-40 miles of range for every hour of charging
- A common option for commercial real estate – fleet charging, multi-family, and other property owners
Level 3 – 480 volt
- Fastest charging option
- May be used for public charging
- Requires 480-volt service
- Can provide up to 3-20 miles of range per minute of charging
- May be found near major roadways or major retailers (such as grocery, convenience etc.)
Why are People Switching to Electric Vehicles?
Many drivers are making the switch to electric. Between the gas savings, maintenance savings, initial purchase savings and reduced emissions by at least two-thirds, it’s clear to see the benefits of making the switch to electric. In addition, there are multiple rebates, toll credits, tax credits and other incentives that can save consumers money by making the switch to an EV.
We also continue to see a big push from administration in moving towards a more electric, emission free federal fleet. Major bills are being passed to support the increase in the need for EV charging and overall EV support, including a big push for auto manufacturers to sell more EV options.
Energy, Maintenance, Gas & Emission Savings
Click here to learn more about the potential savings by switching to an electric vehicle.
Tax Incentives & Credits
Click here to learn more about the potential rebates and credits available to offset the upfront cost of an electric vehicle.
Administration Push Towards EV
Where Can I Charge My Electric Vehicle?
With the push for more Electric Vehicles, everyone will need a place to charge up. The demand for Electric Vehicle charging options on commercial properties is on the rise.
Public EV Charging
Mobile Apps help locate charging stations at grocery stores, hotels, gas stations, parking ramps, parks, and more. The demand for EV charging stations is quickly growing and new stations are popping up every day. You may use a mobile app dedicated to the manufacturer of the EV charging station, or you can use a utility company tool to locate a charging station near you. Excel Energy Charging Station Locator is a great resource for on-the-go charging.
EV Charging Station Customer Types
Retrofit Electric provides property assessment, installation and follow-up support for each a wide variety of property owners. Some examples of our Electric Vehicle Charging Station customers include:
- Property Owners
- Commercial Real Estate
- Auto Dealerships
- Light Duty Fleets
- Transit Bus Fleets
- School Bus Fleets
- Multifamily Buildings
- Public Charging
Adding EV charging is highly beneficial for property owners to attract tenants to their properties. There are low-cost turn-key services to support your infrastructure, including the design and build-out.
How Can I Fund My EV Charging Unit?
There are multiple rebate and funding options available to support the upfront cost of EV charging stations.
Administration Support: Minnesota stands to get several billion dollars through the recently passed Infrastructure Bill by President Biden, specifically a noted $68 million to MN for new EV charging stations. Contact us to learn more about how these dollars can offset your upfront installation cost.
How Much Does an EV Charging Station Cost?
EV Charging Station costs depend on charger type, your property’s electrical setup and wiring. Electrical panel upgrades or circuit wiring upgrades may be required to add new outlets to support your type of charger.
Xcel Energy’s Home Charging Advisor provides an idea of charging at home based on your current specifications. Currently Retrofit Electric does not provide residential installation of EV Charging Stations.
Commercial property EV Charger installations vary in cost but are often a no-brainer after reviewing the tax and utility incentives and rebates.
Installing EV Charging Stations
Our certified team at Retrofit Electric is well versed in best practices and guidelines for preparing your site for EV charging installation.
Prior to installation, we will assess the property and prepare for installation. Our team will:
- Identify the necessary electrical infrastructure to operate the charging station(s)
- Ensure all conduit and wire is pulled to the station location(s)
- Ensure concrete work is completed properly to support the stations
- Identify and install any cellular repeaters if necessary
- TIP: Choose your location wisely. It’s important to consider the electrical infrastructure that supports current and future needs for EV charging to help avoid costly upgrades later as demands for EV charging continue to grow. Charger installations are intended to be semi-permanent.
Would you like more information on AC voltage, Electrical Output, Safety Features or other product specifications? We are happy to provide more detailed information – please contact our Retrofit Electric team here.
What Happens to the Old EV Car Batteries When They Need to be Replaced?
Batteries used in Electric Vehicles are recyclable through our Battery Recycling Program. There is more information on battery types, end-of-life process, packaging guidelines and recycling guidelines on our Universal Waste page. Don’t forget, our Battery Recycling Guides are free to download.
If you would like to schedule a recycling pickup, click here and we will arrange on-site pickup for your location.
- Jerry Gamble Boys and Girls Club of the Twin Cities- Lighting Project (with Video!)
- Boys and Girls Club of the Twin Cities Lighting Upgrade Sneak Peak (Video)
- Double Bonus Rebate Dollars on Tubes for Limited Time!
- 25% Bonus Rebates for LED Tubes Now Available!
- Retrofit Electric – Sneak Peek of AMR Warehouse Project!