Case Study: Hallway Lighting Retrofit
Published October 2014 by Case Study GalleryEnergy EfficiencyLED RetrofitLighting Before and AfterLighting Retrofit ProjectRetrofit Case StudyT8
Not every lighting retrofit project we do takes on an entire facility all at once. Sometimes, clients decide to address major areas of concern first, or because their budgets necessitate it, they simply do several smaller projects over time. Whether the project is exterior parking lot lights, a gymnasium, or simply common areas like hallways, every reduction in usage can help. This case study shows how one school converted T8 fixtures to a slimmer, lower maintenance cost LED fixture to achieve better aesthetics, more energy savings, and reduced maintenance.
Deciding to take control of their maintenance costs by upgrading their hallways was a pretty simple decision for this school. An area with aging fixtures and astronomical replacement costs was a great target to start saving. The major problem? Fixture lenses were brittle, easily broken, and no longer manufactured meaning they cost a ton to replace.
Projects like this prove you don’t have to bite off more than you can chew by retrofitting your entire facility at once. Selecting high-traffic corridors with high maintenance costs or long burn hours can make a significant savings impact. Take a look how this institution is using LED updates to control costs, mitigate maintenance expenses, AND save energy! Their new fixtures are even network ready if the building moves toward a facility-wide control system.
PROJECT GOALS & SUCCESSES
- Inefficient T8 fixtures retired & recycled
- 114 unnecessary fixtures removed from use!
- New lighting layout for maximum efficiency
- Decreased kW& kWh by 60% overall
- Project rebate over $1700
- Annual savings over $1100 / nearly $100 a month!
- New system connects to building controls
- Cut maintenace costs, new fixtures have 5 yr warranty!
- New fixtures contain no hazardous materials
- Sustainable, Energy Saving LED
- 2 inch fixture profile
- Rated 100K hours, L70
- Dimming and Network ready
- Even Light Distribution, >80CRI
Total greenhouse gas reduction 9.1 Metric Tons equivalent to:
- Passenger cars not driven for one year 1.9
- Gallons of gasoline saved 1020.7
- Acres of forest preserved from deforestation 0.07
- Tons of waste recycled vs. land filled 3.25