Benefits of having LED Exterior Lighting during the Winter
Published October 2022
The average annual snowfall in Minnesota is 36-70 inches, and the average January temperature ranges around 24°F / 7°F (not including the added wind chill). In Minnesota, the lowest wind chill value found over the 1905-2019 period was -67 degrees Fahrenheit! Additionally, the sun sets very early in the winter, making for many dark days. Extreme weather and dark days make exterior lighting extra important during the winters, especially in Minnesota.
In 2020, 805 workers died in falls, and 211,640 were injured badly enough to require time off of work.National Safety Council
- Safety– Inadequate lighting can lead to falls and slips that increase the chance of severe injuries to your customers and staff. Slips, trips, and falls account for 33% of all workplace injuries. Poor lighting can become a significant liability to companies if these preventable injuries occur. Outdoor lighting allows you to see the ground you are walking on and illuminate tripping hazards, such as ice patches and snow build-up. Adding lights around potential tripping hazards like bushes, stairs, or curbs can prevent accidents when it is dark out. Exterior lighting also increases the visibility of parking lots for people driving and helps prevent accidents. LED provides a brighter white light than fluorescent lights, allowing for even more visibility to prevent accidents.
- Security– Lighting can deter trespassers and make them easier to identify on security cameras. Additionally, exterior lighting can increase the feeling of safety when walking outside at night.
- Visual Appeal– Exterior lighting can highlight features and signs on the exterior of your building, which creates a more welcoming environment for staff and customers.
- Visibility– A bright building exterior is essential for individuals locating your business. Brightening the exterior of your business can attract new visitors and create a competitive edge.
- Save Energy and Money– LED bulbs use up to 90% less energy and last up to 25 times longer than traditional incandescent bulbs. High-quality LED lights save you time on maintenance and allow for more reliable lighting. LEDs are durable and are built to withstand rough conditions, making them great outdoor lights for extreme weather.