Retrofit Case Study: Interior and Exterior Lighting Upgrades
Published March 2016
This church and school decided it was time to update the look of their facility and invest in energy-efficiency by implementing this full facility lighting upgrade and retrofit. The areas addressed in this project ranged from office and classrooms, to a gymnasium/auditorium, and a sanctuary space that required a dynamic lighting control system.
While some fixtures were in fine condition, others needed to be replaced. One major project requirement was to be sure that all the lighting was appropriate for the spaces, since this building had such varied spaces and uses. TRC lighting consultants built a custom lighting system for each area to maximize energy savings. Another goals for this project was to streamline technology, remove all inefficient lighting like T12 fluorescent and aging CFL lamps, and to replace those with more efficient T8 fluorescent and LED options. The result is that the client does not need to stock as many varieties of lamps now, because more fixtures are using the same lamp type, or a long life technology (LED) was installed.
Take a look how this institution is using LED updates to control costs, mitigate maintenance expenses, AND save energy!
ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT (CARBON SAVINGS)
- Total Greenhouse Gas Reduction, 40.2 Metric Tons
- 7.9 Passenger cars not driven for one year
- 4,507.8 Gallons of gasoline saved
- 0.4 Acres of forest preserved from deforestation
- 14.01 Tons of waste recycled vs. land filled
The new exterior fixtures are more subdued, they blend into the surroundings and they protect the night sky by directing light only to the ground and not upward as the old globes did. The structure of the new fixtures also prevent light pollution by avoiding any upward directional light.
PROJECT GOALS & SUCCESSES
- Inefficient T12 & CFL fixtures retrofitted
- All old lamps removed & responsibly recycled
- Color temperatures unified in each area for a better look
- New lighting layout for maximum efficiency in sanctuary
- Decreased kW& kWh by ~60% overall
- Project rebate over $13,00
- Annual savings over $6,600 / nearly $550 a month!
- New LED system in sanctuary is programmable
- Cut maintenance costs with long life technology
- Modern LED exterior fixtures protect night sky
We urge you to read about more lighting project case studies, or get our e-book “How Much Does a Retrofit Cost?”